LED Light Bulbs Are Shedding New Light On Our Homes

The light bulb just keeps evolving. Over the last 100 years, light has changed the way we live, work and play. One of the latest innovations in lighting are LED light bulbs. LED stands for light-emitting diode, a technology that while not new, has improved significantly over the last few years.  To put it simply, LEDs generate light by moving electrons around within a semiconductor structure. When electricity is introduced to these electron, they, for lack of a better term, get excited and emit light. It is a lot more complicated than that but all we really need to know is that they are quickly becoming one of the best green alternatives to the other sources of artificial light out there.

Why LED Light Bulbs Are Different

Traditional incandescent lights, conventional or halogen, are huge energy consumers, with only 5% of the energy they use being converted into light. The other 95% is emitted as heat. They also have a very short lifespan when compared to other sources of lighting.

Fluorescent lights, on the other hand, are much more energy-efficient. Their energy consumption is approximately 20% creating  light and 80% heat. When you add to it that they also have a much longer life span, (1000 to 3000 hours depending on the quality and type of lighting) they really made sense when it came to alternatives for the traditional bulbs. But they have an environmental cost. The chemicals in fluorescent lights (Argon and Mercury) are dangerous and/or toxic, leading to the possibility of contamination when it comes time to disposal. They also can be slow to come on, causing frustration for users.

LED light bulbs are addressing all of these issues. First of all, LEDs convert a lot more energy into light rather than heat. Their conversion is about 80-90% light. That is a huge difference! Instant cost savings. This in turn, also means that they are far cooler to the touch which results in a much safer product.

Another great factor is that they do not need time to warm up, achieving full brightness instantly. This is a huge factor for many that don’t want to wait for bulbs to warm up.

In addition to all of these energy and cost saving benefits of LED bulbs, they are also 95% recyclable!

The  Cost Of LED Light Bulbs

As with any developing technology, the purchase price of LED light bulbs is still higher than a traditional equivalent. This is sure to change as they become more popular and technology advances. But when you do a quick cost evaluation, the cost of the bulb can be justified pretty quickly. Here is a link to some helpful LED conversion charts to help you see the benefits.

You can learn more about LED light bulbs right from your HomeNav dashboard. Simply log in to your account and search under “Resources” for LED light bulbs. If you do not yet have a HomeNav account, get one for free here.

1 Comment… add one
Eric Gutberlet November 8, 2013, 8:24 am

Great article packed with info. Great job thanks.

Leave a Comment