50 Shades of Green,
Ok, I admit it, I’ve been wanting to write something “50 Shades” and many of us working in the green/sustainability realm talk about “Shades of Green”. With it being St. Patrick’s Day week too, it got me thinking about how many interpretations of “green” there really are. So in tribute to St. Patrick and with a bit of whimsy, please enjoy my list of 50 things green or 50 Shades of Green.
We start with Dictionary.com’s listings for green, the adjective
- of the color of growing foliage, between yellow and blue in the spectrum:
- covered with herbage or foliage; verdant: green fields.
- characterized by the presence of verdure.
- made of green vegetables, as lettuce, spinach, endive, or chicory:
a green salad.
- not fully developed or perfected in growth or condition; unripe; not properly aged: This peach is still green.
- unseasoned; not dried or cured:
- immature in age or judgment; untrained; inexperienced: a green worker.
And the top 5 meanings of green, the noun
- a color intermediate in the spectrum between yellow and blue, an effect of light with a wavelength between 500 and 570 nm; found in nature as the color of most grasses and leaves while growing, of some fruits while ripening, and of the sea.
- Art. a secondary color that has been formed by the mixture of blue and yellow pigments.
- green coloring matter, as paint or dye.
- green material or clothing: to be dressed in green.
- greens. fresh leaves or branches of trees, shrubs, etc., used for decoration; wreaths.
Just on Dictionary.com, there are 33, yes thirty-three, different meanings for the word green. That’s a lot of meaning for one little 5-letter word!
- St. Patrick’s Day Green
- Wearing of the green
- Shamrock (just inherently green)
- Green about the gills
- Green with envy
- Green as grass
- Give them the green light
- Green thumb
- Green-eyed monster
- Green eggs and ham
- Where on God’s green earth?
Green Quotes (from www.brainyquote.com)
- When you’re green, your growing. When you’re ripe, you rot. Ray Kroc
- All theory, dear friend, is gray, but the golden tree of life springs ever green., Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- It seems very safe to me to be surrounded by green growing things and water.Barbara Kingsolver
Sports Teams – just a few
- Green Bay Packers
- Green Wave
- Green Jackets
- Mean Green
- Little Green
- Mr. Green Jeans
- Green Lantern
- Jolly Green Giant
- Little Green Sprout
- Green Day band
- Shades of Green Resort
- Bowling Green, KY
- Green Bay, WI
- Greensboro, NC
- Greenville, SC
- Green Island, China
- US Green Building Council
- Green Drinks
- Green Guides
And of course, there’s money
And that’s not even starting on the “other green” associated with sustainability and better living! To discover your Shade of Green, schedule few minutes with me HERE
In closing, an Irish blessing…
A Wish for a Friend
Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers –
Miles and miles of Irish smile
For golden happy hours –
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!